Week 2 of The First Year Business Journey
I’m still here! Yes, I didn’t get hyped up and give up after my first post….its truly amazing. Been busy this week between working full time and balancing this business start up. It’s a lot to tackle but I’ve decided to dedicate myself to this first year of really documenting and having you come along FROM THE BEGINNING and not telling the story of my success after. I thought it would be more fun if you came along for the ride.
In fact, I’m feeling SO good about this journey that I’m going to also start a podcast to go along with it so you can hear the pain and joy of my struggles through my voice. I do have a little (a very little) experience with podcasting, so I’m going to JUMP RIGHT IN without even having any music or voice overs. That will come later. Balls in! I feel like because my inners want me to WAIT that I’m NOT going to wait. I’m just going to do it. Gulp! I’m feeling a bit ill now.
So this week, I listened to more great podcasts from Anthony Tran, Kim Doyal and Matt Medeiros to keep me pumped and inspired. Good stuff going on out there and I highly recommend you tune into them too.
So here is my accountability report, goals and where I’m falling short this week:
- Updated main point of contact email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Ordered business cards. Checked out moo.com but were more than I wanted to pay. So I went with Overnight Prints because not only were they more reasonable on my wallet but they have top quality paper for their business cards. Maybe I’m being picky but I never liked it when a person would give me a low quality business card.
- Installed recommended plugin called CoSchedule for posting efficiency along with posting to social sites as well.
- Set up an initial appointment with a business coach! Putting my skin in the game! I’m feeling like I’m floundering a bit and I REALLY want to take it to the next level.
- Reached out to some friends who need their websites refreshed to include in my portfolio – very good experiences!
- In final stages of completing first client site (with this business that is)
- Set up an appointment with another client for site refresh.
Goals from previous week I did not complete or did insufficiently:
- Research more networking groups for small businesses. I feel I did not prioritize this well enough. Although I peeked around at meetups here and there, I did not sign up or reach out to anyone to find out more possibilities. I definitely feel a bit scared about it but feel I can overcome that feeling.
- Research more Word Press backup options. I looked a little bit here and there but felt I lagged a bit on this. Again, in researching, I felt I could have had more gain if only I reached out to people to see what their recommendations are. There it is again, this discomfort in reaching out to people I don’t know. Uggh! This is obviously something I need to overcome.
Next week’s goals:
- Purchase and begin reading Jab, Jab, Jab, Right Hook – Finish by May 1st.
- Reconsider pricing plans for websites – post something on site – refer to Anthony Tran’s site not in design but rather how he puts the price out there. I really like how he had his upfront because I personally like to see prices up front….at least to get an idea or a range so I feel like other people will too.
- Bring value to clients with a free download.
- Reach out to people regarding small business networking. Conferences? Local networking?
- Reach out to people regarding WordPress backup options.
- Meet with new business coach on Wednesday.
- Wrap up new client’s website.
- Reach out to 5 people regarding websites.
- Layout content schedule for this with in CoSchedule.
- Take 15 min each morning to build Twitter following.
- Share 2 people’s posts that I feel brings value to potential clients/day on Twitter.
- Create a giveaway for my site with a CTA to bring value to people while building my list. Schedule time for brainstorming post ideas
- Write weekly journal entry
- Genesis Simple Edits – to quickly update the footer area. Time saver.
- CoSchedule – To manage my blog posts and social media. FIVE stars awesome!! I found this from The WordPress Chick’s free download called “The Top 10 Tools I Profit with WordPress”. Worth the download and read.
- WordPress SEO by Yoast – Social analytics. I’ve set this up but am still in the discovery phase on this one. Before using this, I would typically set up the Google Analytics for WP plugin. (free version for now)
- Starbox – To manage my post signature (free version for now). This is a fantastic tool and I love it. (see below…isn’t it nice??)
Latest posts by Samantha Meeker (see all)
- #1: Saving to leave your job, here’s what to focus on. - January 4, 2016
- Sitting too much? Take a Stand. - September 15, 2015
- Week 16 – My top FOUR favorite podcasts - August 24, 2015